So, this is the place where I have to tell you all about my professional training and experience. Sounds exciting, right? Without trying to fill your head with a lot of information that may or may not be important to you, here it are the highlights:
Education and Training
- I received my Bachelor’s of Arts in Honours Psychology from the University of Western Ontario (now Western University) in 2000 and my Master’s of Social Work from the University of Toronto in 2011.
- I am trained and certified in Mental Health First Aid and Applied Suicide Intervention Strategies Training (ASIST).
- I have been working in the mental health and social services fields for more than 15 years, including work in Canada and Bermuda.
- Following my completion of my Master’s degree, I worked as a Clinical Supervisor for a transitional residential program for adult men with mental illness, who were homeless or at risk of being homeless.
- For the past five and a half years, I worked as a Youth and Family Counsellor, providing therapy to youth (ages 4 to 24) and their families for a variety of presenting concerns, such as: anxiety; depression; self-harm and suicidal ideation; family conflict; social skills training; anger and stress management; obsessive-compulsive disorder; borderline personality disorder; bipolar disorder; bullying; and school issues.
- I have also worked with victims of motor vehicle accidents who present with anxiety, adjustment disorder, and chronic pain.
- I have served on numerous committees throughout my career, focusing on service delivery, policy reform, and research. I have developed and facilitated several workshops and community education presentations on youth and mental health and service delivery for front-line workers and community members.
You must be wondering, “Cindy, what modalities and approaches do you use?” (which I know is on everyone’s minds)…
Well, I am glad you asked! I utilize several modalities and approaches of therapy ranging from cognitive-behavioural, narrative, psychoanalytic, attachment, behavioural, dialectical behavioural, and motivational therapies.
What else should I tell you about myself?
I am a Registered Social Worker with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Services Worker (OCSWSSW) and a member of the Ontario Association of Social Workers (OASW).
I am a mother of two energetic boys, a soccer mom, a novice party planner, a lifetime learner, and an advocate.
I am currently accepting new clients in both Orangeville and Georgetown/Brampton locations, as well as, online counselling through Inkblot Therapy. For more information or questions, please feel free to contact me.
I think that’s it! Thanks for reading!