Risks and Benefits
There are risks and benefits that are unique to e-counselling that are important for you to be informed about before deciding to use this method.
- As much as hushmail email accounts promote security and increased confidentiality, any correspondence shared online is at risk of being compromised. Your confidentiality is my highest priority. I will try my best to practice extra safety measures, such as password protecting your emails when I file them away, deleting them from my email account after I have transferred them, and reviewing all emails in a safe and non-intrusive environment that does not contain any other individuals who may be able to read them.
- E-counselling is not an ideal form of support if you are in crisis or actively suicidal. I cannot guarantee that I will respond to your email immediately, but will reply within 2 business days.
- Some helpful interactions that occur during face-to-face counselling may not be available to you through email correspondence, such as nonverbal cues (ex. Facial expressions, reciprocal and spontaneous exchange). For some helpful e-counselling-tips, please click on the link.
- Creating your email can be done in the comfort of your own home or other familiar surroundings. It can be done at your time of convenience and there is no stringent time limits to create your email. There is no need to travel to an office or meet with someone face-to-face, which may be anxiety-provoking for you.
- Writing your email can be a positive therapeutic process for you. Similar to journalling, it allows you to formulate your thoughts and edit your ideas. It encourages you to express your feelings and thoughts in an open and unrestricted manner.
- Receiving my responses in email form can be a helpful resource that you can refer to as many times as you would like after receiving it. There is no expectation for you to remember or memorize the information that I provide. These emails can also be used a tool to assist in coping by reviewing my words of encouragement, reassurance, and validation.
To go back to the E-Counselling page, please click here.
To book an intake or inquire about E-counselling, please refer to my Contact Page.